Saturday, April 08, 2006

That was awesome!

I had the opportunity to help with the Deaf Conference at UVSC this week. I was part of the "security" team, which makes me laugh cause I am not very big or (hopefully) scary looking, haha. I just made sure that the conference goers were in the right rooms and gave them stickers for their interpreter credentials or whatever its called ;)

I love watching people use sign language. Its amazing to me that they can converse without any sounds (well, that they can hear). It can be so beautiful, funny, serious, somber, whatever that is needed. I learned that I know hardly any signs, lol. Everyone was so accepting, so understanding, just wonderful.

I can't wait for the next conference in 2008, hopefully by then I'll know enough signs that I wont have to stare at them blankly and say "sorry, I don't know", I can actually be helpful. Well, I did tell one person where a classroom was that he was looking for and another what time it was. So I wasn't a complete idiot ;)

2 comments:

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

very cool! i love watching sign.

Amber said...

Yay! I love to watch it too.