Friday, October 13, 2006

Halloween or Christmas?

I've always said that Halloween is my favorite holiday but somehow Christmas has topped the list. Don't get me wrong, Christmas is much more important than Halloween, but halloween was just more fun to celebrate.

I still love seeing all the costumes and decorations. I love my 4 year olds imagination and listening to him tell everyone what his costume is going to be. He came up with it himself and is very proud of that. He wants to be a monster fire fighter, he'll wear his firefighter costume but I'll paint his face green and turn his eyebrows brown, lol.

I come from a pretty big family, there are 7 siblings and now there are 10 grandkids to add to the mix. We do a gift exchange where we pick names out of a hat and buy for that person. About 4 years ago we were in a very tight financial situation, I had no idea how I would be able to provide any gifts at all that year. We were given many gifts and support from friends and family, showing me the true meaning of Christmas. That year I made all the gifts for the exchange and had a great time doing so.

Every year since I have tried to come up with creative gifts, some years it was food and I was surprised at how well some fruit snacks and cookies went over ;). This year I'm going to make everything again and got most of the supplies yesterday. I'm just giddy thinking about making all this stuff and knowing how well it will be recieved because it is personalized and comes from the heart.

Maybe if I put as much effort into costumes, Halloween would be a fave once again ;)

3 comments:

Lei said...

You'll have to share some of your ideas with us! :)

QueenMeadow said...

I might, we'll see. I know some of my family members have access to my blog so we'll see ;)

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

i'd love some ideas as well. you have my email :) and as for Halloween, I really think that a lot of my love it is around making the costumes and stuff.